Sounds neat, will definitely be keeping an eye on the project as it develops!
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Android
You wake up in pitch black darkness. You know not where you are. You know not who you are. And they’re trying to kill you...
Imagine a horror novel where you get to make the choices and decide how the story plays out: Welcome to American Angst, a text-based multiple-choice survival horror interactive fiction, combining RPG elements and turn-based combat with dark humor and satire.
Available for MacOS, Windows and Android!
"One of the best Twine games of 2017." – Brian Rushton, @mathbrush
"Fun way to waste an afternoon." – The Zombie Chimp
"If you like short horror stories, you will enjoy this." – Totally Gamer Girl
"A horror story at heart, American Angst is very well written. There’s just enough suspense and thrill that you’ll find yourself biting your nails as you play." – GameSpew
"Treat yourself to some textual scares." – HorrorTalk
"An atmospheric Text-Adventure with a surprising story." – Gwyn Gaming
A choice-based game slash novel, you try to escape from an underground prison complex – all the while suffering from amnesia, fighting off guards seeking your death, and slowly unravelling the mystery that brought you to this place, as you traverse the thin line between survival and revenge…
What American Angst is NOT:
- made with Unity
- made with Unreal
- an online multiplayer first-person shooter with amazing graphics and audio
- full of micro-transactions
What American Angst IS:
- a playable horror novel (you'll have to read)
- driven by your imagination
- full of dark humor and satire
- in a fully fleshed-out dystopian world in the not so far future (you will watch TV and read a newspaper)
Created with Twine by M3G1DD0 aka Misha Verollet (@m3g1dd0 on Twitter), American Angst is an interactive fiction in the vein of Choose your own Adventure and Fighting Fantasy games.
- Five distinct endings plus variations: Even minor decisions impact the narrative
- Replay value: The full story unfolds through the different endings
- Monitor your stats: Health, panic status, inventory, weapons, ...
- Turn-based Combat System
- Autosave and Checkpoints
- Text-based, no graphics or sound effects: Your imagination is your best friend and worst enemy
- Warning: Graphic Violence, Explicit Language, Dark Humor, Gore
- 70k words
- Approx. 45 - 60 minutes of estimated play time (depending on your pace and choices you make)
From the creator:
"American Angst is a pastiche of slasher, survival horror, dungeon crawler and RPG games, influenced by 70s exploitation horror flicks and video nasties like The Hills have Eyes and The Last House on the Left, as well as films like Cube, Hostel and Running Man, or games like Resident Evil and Dead Space. American Angst is my first foray into game creation with Twine. It started as an experiment but quickly scaled to a larger pet project. I welcome your constructive criticism." – M3G1DD0 aka Misha Verollet
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Android|
|Release date||Sep 03, 2017|
|Author||Miles Matrix (formerly known as m3g1dd0)|
|Genre||Adventure, Interactive Fiction|
|Tags||Dark Humor, Dystopian, Horror, Multiple Endings, Story Rich, Survival Horror, Tactical RPG, Text based, Twine|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Links||Steam, Homepage, Twitter, Community|